Little progress has been made since 2009/10 academic year in reducing dropout rates amongst students at universities across England. Drop-out rates for students from the most disadvantaged backgrounds remain relatively high compared to others.
The Knowledge Partnership’s Graduate Insight Analyst, Bethany, attended Westminster Briefing “Improving Student Retention & Success in Higher Education”, to understand how HEIs can work to enhance engagement and success.
The briefing addressed a number of key issues including:
- Developing institutional level strategies to enhance student engagement
- Nurturing a culture of belonging in the academic and social community
- Fostering meaningful relationships between staff, students and peers
- Recognising the level of support required for students based on circumstance or background
- Identifying and supporting students at risk of withdrawal
It was great to share and hear institutional good practice, and gain insight into how HEIs are working to address the key challenges in student retention.