We are pleased to announce that The Knowledge Partnership is now committed to being a Mindful Employer.
An individual’s mental health is increasingly becoming recognised as of equal importance to their physical health, and for some people, the pressures of the workplace can at times prove to be breeding grounds for stress. If left unaddressed, excessive stress can lead to mental health conditions like anxiety or depression that can seriously disrupt someone’s everyday life and wellbeing. Around 1 in 4 people may experience a form of mental health problem during their life, a statistic that rises to as many as 1 in 3 for working-age adults.
The Knowledge Partnership has recognised that as an employer, it has an important role to play in the mental wellbeing of its employees; to help provide a work environment capable of supporting people through difficulties that arise from both work pressures, and from personal issues that might follow them to work.
As a signatory of the Charter for Employers Positive about Mental Health, TKP has made an on-going commitment:
- To provide non-judgemental and proactive support to staff experiencing mental ill-health.
- To not make assumptions about a person with a mental health condition and their ability to work.
- To be positive and enabling towards all employees and job applicants with a mental health condition.
- To support line managers in managing mental health in the workplace.
- To ensure they are fair in the recruitment of new staff in accordance with the Equality Act (2010).
- To make it clear that people who have experienced mental ill-health will not be discriminated against, and that disclosure of a mental health condition will enable both the employee and employer to assess and provide the right level of support or adjustment.
All employees will now have access to guides on keeping well at work and all line managers be provided with additional resources on how to support those under their management. There will also be opportunities to attend Mindful Employer Network events and mental health focused training. Local support is provided through Leeds Mind, the lead partner for Mindful Employer in Leeds, and coincidentally also TKP’s Charity of the Year for CSR activities.
Mindful Employer is a nationwide initiative run by Devon Partnership NHS Trust, aiming to provide employers of any size with workplace mental health training, information and advice. More information, along with the Knowledge Partnership’s listing as a signatory, can be found at mindfulemployer.net.
The Knowledge Partnership’s commitment to be a Mindful Employer has been introduced and organised by our Wellbeing Champion Rebecca Mitchell as part of a wider employee wellbeing initiative throughout the company.